BEST COMPOSITE TOE BOOTS
Both steel-toe work shoes and composite toe work shoes have become strong contenders for workplaces which require safety. Both match up the industry standard for safety quiet seamlessly. One advantage that composite toe work shoes have over steel toe work shoes is that they are quite lightweight, sometimes weighing 30% less than their steel toe counterparts. This makes it a great choice for people who have to spend a lot of time on foot. Add to that, composite footwear also passes the metal detector which wins, hands down, over steel toe work shoes. These shoes are good insulators too, which comes in as quite a welcome addition in cold climate. So, heavier work shoes need not be sturdier, debunking the legendary myth, as in the case of composite toe work shoes. With all these qualities of composite toe work shoes working to our advantage, the following concern can cloud the mind: What about style quotient? Well, these shoes rank high there too, with companies coming up with an array of designs and styles, one will be spoilt for choice.
How To choose the best composite toe boots?
While selecting the best composite toe boots, one should be mindful of the fact that there are a few quintessential parameters which help in judging whether the particular pair is apt or not. A lot depends on the number of hours for which the boots are put into use each day, what kind of work the user is into and the level of safety that is required because every workplace comes with its own bundle of hazards.
1. Safety: This is of the utmost importance when selecting the perfect pair of boots because no matter what level of safety one’s work requires, safety is non-negotiable. It is the most critical aspect as far as work boots are concerned. Composite work boots come with good safety quotient minus the heavyweight of steel toe boots. So, one should assess the work conditions and the level of safety required at their workplace and then select the boots matching that.
2. Comfort: Another determining factor is the comfort and this includes the right fit as well as flexibility. The best parameter for judging is that the perfect fitting work boots, don’t remind the wearer that they are wearing them. If one’s work boots keep reminding them that they are wearing them, then it is an added distraction at work. So, one needs to find the pair that perfectly fit them, like safety, comfort to is a non-negotiable factor. Look out for pinching or hot areas, as they are most likely to get worse and not fade with time. So, don’t fall into the trap of picking up a pair, hoping that pinching will subside with time. Check for flexibility too, the pair of boots should be flexible enough to nicely support the feet while walking. For extra flexibility, leather conditioners can be used.
3. Support: Another element is proper support. Consider factors like midsole, insole, shank, outsole, puncture plate, etc. These are essential in offering sturdy support. Midsoles are underestimated in their ability to provide support; care should be taken to see whether the midsoles are providing proper support or not. Some amount of discomfort while walking can be fixed by upgrading the boot’s insole.
4. Traction: Tripping, slipping and falling are the evils of the workplace which can be checked if a suitable pair of work boots is chosen. The boots should be able to grip the feet and help in achieving proper balance even in trying positions. Outsoles come to the rescue, in this case, there are many varieties of outsoles which help in achieving proper grip. From high performance rigged outsoles for rugged work terrain to Thermo Poly Urethane outsoles for an oil rig or chemical industries, each one comes with unique features to outdo the hazards at work. So, one should choose the kind of outsoles which fit the workplace one is in, this will cut down the risks of any mishap and make workplace incident free.
5. Waterproofing: Statistics show that waterproof work boots are an added advantage when working in extreme conditions. Not only does waterproofing increase the longevity of the boots but also cuts down the risk of frozen toes. Moisture harbours bacteria and can cause a severe threat of infection to the feet. Choosing waterproof work boots will always help in keeping your feet dry and warm. Insulted work boots are a boon for workers in extreme climatic conditions, especially in cold, snowy regions.
The quintessential requirement for composite toe work boots is that they meet the OSHA standard for safety shoes at the workplace.
Top 8 Composite Toe Boots
1. EVER BOOTS “Tank Men’s Soft Toe Oil Full Grain Leather Work Boots Construction Rubber Sole: Priced at $58.95, these boots are a steal. This product comes in two shades: Tan and dark brown and are made of leather. The shaft measure is approximately 7 inches from the arch, and it has rubber soles. It comes with a removable cushion insole and slips resistant rubber outsole. It ensures durability for heavy-duty industrial work and construction concrete safety contractor. It has Top Full Grain Nubuck to make wearing easy. It is big fitting, so it is advisable to pick a ½ size bigger than that for Caterpillars and Timberlands. This product is highly recommended and loved by the users with most of them very likely to invest in a second pair.
2. Westland Men’s 6” Tomcat EH Steel Toe or Composite Toe Water Resistant Leather Work Boots: This retails for $79.41 and ranks among the best composite toe work shoes. It comes with a rubber sole and is ASTM F2413-11 certified. It has rubber nitrile outsole and Welt System Construction which provides more durability. The shaft measures 5.5” approximately from arch. It comes in two colours, Yellow Nuckbuck (composite toe) and coffee brown (steel toe). It comes with safety features like Electrical hazard protection, water-resistant leather, slip and oil resistant along with comfortable insole with PU Open Cell Polyurethane covers. It is designed for electricians, constructions workers, lineman, industrial, machinery operators, loggers, carpenters, heavy-duty vehicles drivers and the like. Users are more than happy with these boots and highly recommend them.
3. Timberland PRO Men’s Drivetrain Mid Composite Toe Industrial Boot: It is priced at $114.95-$130 and is 100% synthetic with a synthetic sole. The shaft measures approximately 5.75” from arch. It has anti-fatigue technology polyurethane footbed for shock absorption as well as energy return. These boots come with carbon shield technology and have upper mesh which is made up of abrasion-resistant mesh which makes it lightweight and increases its performance. For odour control and anti-microbial treatment, it has breathable as well as moisture wicking lining. It also comes with a TPU toe overlay which enhances its durability and protection. Users have great things to say about this product and highly recommend them to others.
4. Timberland PRO MEN’S 8-inch Boondock Composite Toe Waterproof Work and Hunt Boot: Priced at $209.50-$230.50, these boots come with 100% leather and textile. It has a rubber sole and the shaft measure approximately 8” from the arch while the heel measures approximately 2”. The measurement of the platform is 1.00” and it has a mid-high work boot which features premium waterproof membrane as well as dual-purpose top hardware which makes interlacing easier. It has moulded rubber toe protector and fibreglass shank for structural support. All these features make it one of the most popular work boots and are highly recommended by its users.
5. Merrell Men’s Moab 2 Vent Mid Waterproof Composite Toe Work Boots Boulder 10.5M: Comfortably priced at $79.93, these boots are one of the bestselling work boots. They are made of fabric, have Vibram sole and are waterproof with waterproof leather and fabric uppers which have M Select Dry waterproof membrane. The lace-up closure ensures a secure fit and had non-metallic hardware as well as bellows to keep out of the debris. It comes with breathable fabric mesh lining. These boots have caught the fancy of the young and the old alike, in terms of look and comfort as well as functionality.
6. Westland Men’s PW Composite Toe Waterproof Anti Puncture Leather Nitrile Rubber Sole Wellington Work Boots: These retail for $97.55 and come with rubber sole. These are composite toe work boots and have electrical hazard protection, with 100% waterproof. The leather used is oiled and thick leather. The outstanding feature is that they come with anti-puncture claims, which is a required feature in hazardous working condition. These boots are different from the rest and have a host of loyal users. They have deep lugs, rubber protector over moulded on the toe cap. They are also oil and slip resistant and comes with dual density rubber nitrile outsole. The insole is built with PU technology and has welt system construction.
7. Timberland PRO Women’s Hightower 6” Composite Toe Waterproof Insulated Industrial Boot: These retails for $125.84-$162.50, made of leather and textile with rubber sole. Shaft measures 6.25” approximately from arch. The platform measures approximately 1 inch. It has premium waterproof full grain leather which even has a waterproof membrane. The composite safety toe is powered by Carbon shield technology. It also comes with anti-fatigue technology polyurethane footbed which helps in shock absorption and energy return. It has Thermolite 400g insulation. For odour control and anti-microbial treatment, it has breathable moisture wicking lining.
8. Thorogood Men’s Gen-flex2 8” Insulated Waterproof Composite Safety Toe Boot: Priced at $164.54-190.00, these come in one colour: brown, leather is oiled and full grained. It has single density polyurethane footbed which is removable, composite shank. It has GEN-flex2 outsole and is built with Goodyear storm welt construction. These boots score high on well fit, comfortability and durability, ranking high in the list of great composite toe work beets.
1. How to clean composite toe work shoes?
While composite toe work shoes are tagged as sturdy work wear shoes, they still require regular care to make them look presentable and prolong their durability. For this, you need to first brush your shoes to get rid of surface dirt and dust. Pour a few drops of cleaner on a piece of soft, dry cloth and rub it on the leather, it removes stains on the leather. Keep the shoes to dry. You can add shine to the leather by applying some mink oil, rub and then clean the excess off from the surface of the leather. The last step is to spray some water-resistant spray on it so that your composite toe work shoes get a barrier against rain, dirt and become resistant to further stains.
2. How to prolong the durability of composite toe work shoes?
While composite toe work shoes look sturdy enough to last you a lifetime, they are not completely immune to wear and tear. To keep them as good as new and to increase their durability, you need to take some simple measures. The first thing that you should do while bringing home a pair of these shoes is to waterproof them with a waterproofing spray, it will ensure that your shoes become resistant to any moisture or stain seeping into the leather. To avoid deformation of heels, you must use a shoehorn to wear your shoes. Another good tip would be to wear them in rotation with a separate pair of shoes, doing this will make your work shoes last longer. Finally, if it gets wet by chance, let your pair dry completely before wearing them.
3. How long do composite toe work shoes last?
Generally, that depends on how the user is using them and the number of hours each day that the shoe is put to use. While a careful user can significantly prolong the durability of shoes with proper care, the average lasting time of these is one year if there is no physical damage to it. This is accepted as the average lifespan of these shoes because, by the end of one year, the paste, stitching and the materials used for making these shoes begin to degrade and being work shoes, it is of utmost importance to use boots in good condition to avoid any hazards. If you work under harsh conditions and your work requires utmost safety to your feet, you must replace your work shoes every 3 to 6 months.
4. How to understand that the shoes need replacing?
While considering replacing your shoes, there are some parameters which you must take into account. Firstly, you must look for wear and tear, look for signs like the tread on the bottom, rubbed bare, pasting coming off, etc. These signs indicate that you need a new pair. Also, if you feel that your shoes are no longer as comfortable as they used to be, it’s time to get a new one. Another pointer, which goes without saying, is that if your shoes have undergone physical damage, met with a mishap then you need to change them without fail, to ensure future safety.
5. Do composite toe boots cause foot problems?
Not, if you find a pair that you are comfortable in. Composite toe boots, or any pair of shoes for that matter, need to be a comfortable fit. You need a pair that doesn’t keep reminding you that you are wearing shoes, all day long. If your shoes are not comfortable enough, you are bound to get blisters, cuts and ache.
6. How to make composite toe boots comfortable?
The first and foremost step is to invest in a pair that fist your well: neither too tight nor too loose. It should snug your feet and not clamp it. Having done that, you can try a few steps to ensure that you are comfortable while wearing your pair of shoes. The next step is to break them properly, for this, you should start wearing them on and off, not full time. Gradually start increasing the number of hours you wear them. Secondly, start wearing boot socks, this will make you more comfortable in your work boots. Choose one made of natural fibres. Thirdly, Invest in good quality insoles. These will provide extra support to your feet. Following these steps will make your uncomfortable pair of work boots comfortable.
7. Can composite toe work boots be worn by people suffering from Plantar Fasciitis?
Yes, there are work boots designed to deal with this problem. You need to ensure that the pair you buy is compatible with the feet conditions that you are going through.
While selecting the best composite toe boots, it is imperative that the safety standards are met and that one is comfortable in it. There is a wide array of textures, designs, features, etc. available and the combination can be chosen according to the workplace and the kind of work a person does. These boots give one the flexibility to be comfortable and safe at the same time.